Saturday, August 29, 2015

Old Brighton High School

For quite some time I would photograph the exterior of the old Brighton High School and always wondered what kind of mysteries I would find inside.

Recently I had the chance to explore the interior.  When I told someone I wanted to go to the 2nd floor, their response was something along the lines of, "are you sure?"  Yes, I have to capture the whole place or it just wouldn't have the same meaning.  As I've photographed from the outside looking up to the 2nd floor, I've always desired to see what mysteries lie there waiting for my camera.


To get upstairs you have to start from the bottom, so that is where it begins.  Inside there is peeling paint, cracked walls, particle board on the ceiling and these cool old windows above the doors.  The original chains are still attached.



The old wood floors are beautiful, even though they aren't in the best shape.  Right behind me is a sunken spot in the floor that bounces as you walk on it.  I'm sure the main floorboards have probably had some damage.  Not sure what's up with that hole on the left by the weight machine, but I did not stick my hand down it.  I was tempted to bang on the piano, but I try not to touch much when I go into these places.  There was a piece of discarded clothing on the right I did move because I didn't want it in the photo.



I looked up above the front entry and there was a radiator.  I don't recall many others as I roamed around the school, but maybe they were hidden or because I wasn't exactly looking for them, I didn't find notice them.  This may no longer be in use.


From different signage hanging around it looks as if the local soccer organization uses a couple of the rooms on the main floor.  This room still had desks inside.  Love the old wooden floors.


Another room in the back half of the building was used for storing odds and ends.  Lots of old books and equipment from the fire department.


At one time a church must have met inside the building.  There were religious symbols and verses in various locations.










A couple of the doors looked like they had been attacked by a pack of hungry dogs.  It just goes to show that things of the world are only temporary.













After a spent a bit of time photographing on the main floor, I decided to venture upstairs.  The stairwell was caked with pigeon poop and a few pigeon remains here and there.  The door to the 2nd floor is kept closed.  Now I know why.



The upstairs is basically a pigeon's palace.  The main room in the front half of the 2nd floor is all pigeon poop and insulation. Well, not all, but most.  There is this nice basketball hoop which should read, "POOP-A-SHOT".  The pigeons might have fun with target practice.   Yes, they were flying around while I was up there.  It stunk really bad and I knew I couldn't stay up there for long.  



I didn't photograph these 3 rooms in the image below.  It's all pretty much the same, wall, floor, windows and pigeon poop.  The room on the right I did go in and climb over a ledge to get access to an area where the remains of a haunted house are still set up.


After I climbed over the ledge I was started by a skeleton-mannequin.  It would have made a great photo, but it became impossible because of fleas!  As I was trying to focus the camera in the dimly lit area my ankles started itching.  I looked down and all these little critters were crawling on my shoes, along my ankles and proceeding up my legs.  Freakkkyyyy!!!  I could no longer focus on what I was doing and quickly made it to the area below.  

It didn't matter.  I was totally invaded and they weren't leaving.  I had to leave.  So I took a few photos in here, found some Fantastic to spray on my legs for a temporary halt, then gathered my mind and left (I was about to go crazy because of the fleas).  My ankles are ate up with flea bites on top of the poison ivy, which I got about two weeks ago from another photo adventure.



As I exit this building, that means so much to so many, I take with me the thoughts of a skeleton-mannequin jumping at me, a ton of fleas, the smell of stinky pigeons, the appreciation of good hardwood floors, and the gratefulness of the opportunity to take a peak inside this place.

After being inside I don't see how it's possible that this building could ever be utilized at 100%.  It's just wasted square footage.  Maybe it can be torn town, pieces of it  sold (windows and bricks) and something else be built in it's place.  It's nice to have a building left standing that means so much to so many people, but maybe there is something else that can be built on the land that would benefit the community in so many more ways.

To see more photos of the Old Brighton High School including the gym, go to: http://www.christyhunterphotography.com/p932037719

No comments:

Post a Comment